Interview with Uk STREET PHOTOGRAPHER and revisedMEDIA member Matt Obrey! "Looking for the extraordinary within the ordinary."
1. Tell us a bit about yourself.
My name is Matt Obrey, im 37 years old and come from Birmingham, UK. I like capturing life as we sometimes may not see it whilst looking for the extraordinary within the ordinary. I’m fascinated with watching people in their everyday surroundings whether it be on the streets, in parks on buses or in the supermarket. Humorous and surreal moments happen all around us all day every day and stealing these moments in time that will never be replicated again helps me make sense of the chaotic world we live in today.
2. List 3 photographers you admire – past and/or present.
3. When did you start shooting?
Ive had an interest in photography for many years, dabbling in landscape and portrait. I used to shoot the Downhill Mountain bike scene here in the uk after giving up the sport myself due to injury, but its street photography that i find most challenging now and have been concentrating on this now for nearly two years.
4. What inspires you on a regular basis?
Talent, in any shape or form.
5. Something that few people know about you.
I can never remember my left from right so don't ask me for directions!
6. If someone gave you $5,000 today to spend on photography equipment, what would you buy?
I don't get too hung up on equipment, but if i had too spend 5000 today it would be on books which i consider to be valuable equipment.
7. Mac or PC?
8. Which is your most-used lens?
The fixed 23mm on my X100.
9. What would be your ultimate goal?
The same goal as most amateur photographers out there, which is to someday have a book published.